Deep, effective, lasting changes ...
to inspire the BodyAlive!
Imagine feeling aligned, gracefully in-tune with gravity ~ ease, mobility and resonant balance ~ expressing the gift of life.
SOMA Neuromuscular Integration®
Since 1999, Aric Spencer has offered licensed SOMA Bodywork, the first offshoot discipline of Ida Rolf's Structural Integration (Rolfing), in Port Townsend, WA
11 Sessions of SOMA
Whole-person Structural Integration to repair historic and systemic trauma. Sessions one, two, and three can be experienced san series.
Postural/structural maintenance of "post-ten series" clients.
Useful as an introduction to the Structural Integration method of healing.
Injury Treatment Bodywork Sessions
Individually-specific myofascial session to release recent trauma.
Breath & Sleep-Specific Bodywork Sessions
Created especially to heal postural/structural issues that cause sleep apnea, snoring, insomnia, and less-than-optimal habits of breathing.
Main benefits of SOMA:
Enhanced Physical, Mental and Emotional Performance
Specific articulations regarding its benefits...
- A productive, active muscle system … clients gain added mobility and healthier joints that can more easily stay in alignment. Soma work decreases scar tissues for a more productive and active muscle system— creating more elastic, powerful and efficient muscle contraction.
- A posture that looks and is comfortable … clients gain a feeling of being more balanced, grounded, and taller in height. Soma work opens up the range of motion in the joints for better alignment and balance within the pull of gravity — creating a more naturally stable, upright and comfortable posture.
- A sense of embodiment … clients gain a feeling more alive, dynamic, graceful and aware of the present moment. Soma work decreases neurological "fixation" that blocks the intelligent feedback needed for smooth coordination, proprioception*, and healthy sequencing of movements — creating a truly felt sense of the body.
* Proprioception (from Latin proprius, meaning "one's own" and perception) is the sense of the relative position of neighboring parts of the body. It is the sense that indicates whether the body is moving with required effort, as well as where the various parts of the body are located in relation to each other.
- A new sense of responsiveness to learning, growing, healing, and aging … clients gain a boost in self-esteem, self-reliance and creative self-expression. Integrating all three systems mentioned above (muscle, joint and nervous), Soma work allows for an amazing benefit to emerge: a new sense of responsiveness to learning, growing, healing and aging. These often-challenging aspects of life can reshape themselves into some of the most pleasurable and joyful human achievements.
- Other benefits include chronic pain relief, an increased appetite for physical activity, and recurrent rejection of worry.